I wonder if I put a few words here?

Blog for Module 1 – Saksham Dua

Introduction

Hey, My name is Saksham Dua and I am a fourth year Computer Science major here at University of Victoria. I am originally from New Delhi, India and moved to Victoria almost 3 years back now.

If I had to share experiences that have influenced my educational journey then that would majorly include learning about technology and programming. I was in grade 9 when I got a new laptop and I wanted to do something fun with it, not being good at video games left me with one option which was learning new programming languages. I started with Python as my first programming languages and have never since stopped being involved with latest technological and software changes in the world which also motivated me to pursue Computer Science for my undergraduate degree. Learning new programming languages gave me a different way of thinking about problems and helped me create a unique form of learning and retaining information.

Talking about my hobbies and things I do in my free time includes playing football, going to the gym and recently I have been really involved in learning and playing golf over the weekends. As we can see in the photo added, my buddy played a shot which put me in a tricky situation seen below.

Reflection Questions

What is Distributed Education?

Distributed education is a educational model where the content is delivered using multiple mediums of delivery, generally using digital technologies. It allows students to engage in learning activities from different geographical locations and different timezones as well. This model differs from traditional learning models, where students must physically attend classes at set times. Distributed education increases accessibility and flexibility, making it ideal for individuals with work, family commitments, or those living far from educational institutions. By leveraging technology, it supports students who cannot adhere to the constraints of traditional campus-based education.

What is Open Education?

Open education refers to freely accessible educational resources and practices, aiming to remove barriers like cost, geography, or scheduling conflicts. Examples include open textbooks, MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses), and other free learning materials. Open education promotes inclusivity by providing access to learning for all, regardless of their economic or social status. By encouraging the free sharing of knowledge, it can help build a more inclusive learning environment where everyone has the opportunity to acquire skills and knowledge.

Modes of Learning

The primary modes of learning are:

1. Face-to-Face Learning: Traditional in-person education where teachers and students meet physically.
  2. Online Learning: Conducted over the internet, either synchronously (live) or asynchronously (self-paced).
  3. Blended Learning: A combination of face-to-face and online learning, where students attend some classes in person and complete other components online.
  4. Hybrid Learning: A more flexible model where students can choose to attend sessions either online or in person.

I personally prefer online learning because it offers flexibility and allows me to manage my time according to my own schedule. It eliminates the need for commuting, making it convenient to learn from anywhere. Online learning also provides access to a wide range of resources and courses that I can explore at my own pace, helping me stay productive and focused on my goals.

Digital Literacy

Digital literacy refers to having the knowledge of using digital tools and technologies effectively. This includes basic skills needed to use internet as well as more advanced skills like critically evaluating online information, managing digital privacy, and creating digital content. In open and distributed learning, digital literacy is crucial because it empowers students to access online resources, collaborate remotely, and protect their digital privacy. One example in today’s day and age is being able to distinguish the difference between real and fake information when learning about different topics because of the availably of a lot of unverified information.

Digital Identity

Digital identity refers to how an individual presents themselves online including social media profiles, online content, and any data associated with your presence on the internet. I am generally very critical of what I post online and if that actually resonates with my personality in the real world. For instance, I maintain a twitter profile to build connections in the software space and share relevant content which I actually think is true, without any specific personal information. This also boosts my career and educational opportunities, by me being an extension of my twitter / social media image.

1. lillianedci

Hello Saksham. Thank you for your insightful post. I agree that online learning offers flexibility. I think also the elimination of commuting is not only more convenient for learners, but also is good in cutting down on traffic in and around campus. It helps with creating a more sustainable community if less people are going to the same place at roughly the same times. Moreover, online learning lets learners have more time for doing their coursework and other activities related to the school work. For example, having less commuting time has made it easier for me to work on the wordpress website we are building and to learn about making blogs.